Monday, January 22, 2007

Knitting the Fabric of Community.

The corporate world needs to see us as little walking profit centers and finds it convenient to herd us into isolating demographic corrals to expedite sales and quarterly earnings.

Naturally this has little to do with our actual world and long standing bent to forming community and some succumb to these pernicious promptings and fall into a stylized cartoonish solipsism.

One direct and essential way to begin a national reclamation is to turn away from these hollow promptings and toward one another.

I got started on this blogging adventure because a wise friend who is also a shrewd investor told me about a visionary market analyst who has proposed the theory of 'Little Brother' as the greatest threat to the lying sloppy content oligopoly such as ABC News.

Google's 'pipeline' business model allows nearly anyone to report news, and so on and based on my preferences, the citizen blogosphere is leaving the Rupert Murdoch model behind.

Why wait for them to figure out charming satirical whimsy wedded to thought provocation when Citizen Boo is already on it?

When I lived in Seattle, I was acquainted with employee number 5 at Amazon. He left and ended up wealthy, but we'd have these conversations about 'Internet ubiquity' based on the number of search engine citations for something.

A slimier version dreamed up by marketing shills is now called 'going viral'. The ubiquity I propose is a more ethical, deliberate and thoughtful thing that intends to unite rather than exploit by 'viral' niche compartmentalization..

I try to be conscientious about serving my constituent readers in several areas of discourse because I see potentially uniting commonalities between progressive political bloggers, anti consumerist initiatives like SF Compact, fans of Avante Garde Jazz and the alt rock night club demi monde.

I readily move in all those spheres and a few more and when I see some mosaic pattern of interrelated community cohere through my modest efforts it lends a sense of purpose to my crackpot life.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the snaps, Chris! You have a way with language and observation that is much appreciated and needed in this day and age.

    It is my hope that as the blogging artform and science becomes a much bigger force on the internet, that the advocacy journalism on TV will take note.

    One can only hope ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh it is beginning to dissolve the old hidebound pipelines.

    We are close to a time where people would rather surf You Tube than overpay a cable company to watch the only two shows they like.

    I've been writing for decades and made a few stabs at taking sentence craft to market, but Sonny Bono, pushed through legislation to give more content control to corporations leaving less for you and me.

    So increasing numbers of people are ditching the 'content industry'to use these systems that allow retention of control.

    The next two missions will be one, how to proliferate our work to constituents that await it and then how to monetize it in an honest and ethical way.

    I'm beginning to get a sense of it and will send you a paper on it before a week passes.

    Your instincts about how to grow constituencies are sound and you reward the effort with quality far beyond another wretched episode of Desperate Housewives'.

    I haven't owned a TV in years.

    ReplyDelete